at least 29 dead in a fire in Istanbul
International

at least 29 dead in a fire in Istanbul

At least 29 people died on Tuesday, April 2, in a large fire that broke out in the basement of a residential building in Istanbul, where workers were working on a night club.

>> Heavy rains have killed at least 14 people in Turkey, Greece and Bulgaria

>> Turkey commemorates the earthquake of February 6, 2023

Firefighters at the scene of a fire that broke out in the basement of a residential building in Istanbul on April 2 in Turkey.
Photo: AFP/VNA/CVN

The accident occurred at noon, according to the governor, leaving black spots visible on the first four floors of the sixteen-story building, and it was not immediately possible to determine whether the victims died from the flames or thick black smoke.

A large number of emergency services were mobilized, and at the end of the day, around twenty ambulances and fire trucks remained parked on the street, blocked for traffic and pedestrians, according to AFP.

At the entrance to the street, away from the building with the blackened facade, three firemen were sitting, lying down, their faces and equipment stained with soot, while another passed by, blank-eyed, with a helmet on his hand.

It wasn’t until late in the afternoon that Istanbul Governor Davut Gül, who visited the site, announced that the fire had been brought under control.

According to the final report of its services, in addition to the deceased, another injured person was hospitalized in serious condition.

“An investigation has been opened after the fire in Gayrettepe, in the Beşiktaş district of Istanbul”, announced Interior Minister Ali Yerlikaya on X (formerly Twitter).

Relatives of the victims in tears, after the fire that broke out in a residential building in Istanbul, on April 2, in Turkey.
Photo: AFP/VNA/CVN

According to the first elements reported by the governor, the fire broke out during work in the night club located in the basement of the building.

All the workers who worked on the construction site died, he said and announced it “Five warrants issued”especially against the nightclub owner and manager.

“Three suspects have been arrested, and two more are being sought” he clarified.

Renovation

“The fire broke out in (night club) located in the basement of a 16-story residential building in Gayrettepe, Besiktas district.it announced earlier, specifying that the disaster occurred “at 12:47 p.m.” (09:47 GMT).

Throughout the afternoon reports continued to roll in and most of the twelve seriously injured initially reported gradually died despite being taken to hospital.

“Club Masquerade”, a popular establishment in Gayrettepe, in the central district of Beşiktaş, had several stages and regularly held concerts. He got a license in 1987, which was renewed in 2018, Gül said.

According to him, “the night club has been maintained and renovated”.

“The club is closed during Ramadan” 46-year-old local resident Erkan Karakoc also reported to AFP.

Televisions showed images of high flames and black smoke billowing from the windows of high-rise buildings.

“A warrant has been issued against five people: three have been arrested, and the search for the other two continues”the governor of Istanbul stated in a press release.

This was confirmed by Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu, who visited the site “the fire is under control” and presented his “condolences”.

AFP/VNA/CVN

Hi, I’m laayouni2023